Saturday, September 30, 2017
The Burning Village!
Journey to the village of Entwhistle this week: a quiet, unassuming town far away from the dangers of the world…and discover that not all is what it seems to be. A dark scheme threatens to envelop Entwhistle in a sea of flames—and you’ll be there to witness its first steps.
Discover what lies in store for you in this burning village…right now!
(HINT: For the people who normally disable their in-game sound, turning up the volume a bit might add to this quest’s ambience!)
Head over to Ash in Book 3 to play this quest!
Hey there! I’m Aeon, one of DragonFable’s volunteer writers. Hope you guys are enjoying this quest chain so far!
This week, I thought I’d give you a little background detail on how “The Burning Village” was written. Putting some “design” back in the Design Notes, essentially!
- Chronologically, the main part of this quest happens shortly after the Tournament of Champions—but before the Gala.
- The idea of a burning village was based on a story I had written up for AQWorlds in 2015. Originally, it was only just a forest—no village was involved. In addition, the forest would have already been burnt to cinders by the start of the quest.
- The walkthrough and the battle at the end are the only parts of the quest that never changed. Everything else was either revised or moved to a subsequent release.
- Barring two characters, every new NPC in this quest has had at least one name change.
- Assuming you’ve turned your sound on, the person you play as and the unsettling atmosphere are supposed to clash. On one hand, you’re walking headfirst into an unknown danger. On the other hand, you’re playing as someone you’re equally unsure of—which can result in one of two things. You might either feel more at ease from what you know (or don’t know) about that character, or end up being gripped by their fear as well.
- The Hero was originally supposed to make an appearance towards the end of this quest, but it was unnecessary and would’ve ended up like the Tournament finale.
That’s pretty much all I had for you this week! Thanks for reading, and see you next time!
Connect with our online game community!