Friday, January 24, 2020
Six Heroes: Darkheart
Hey there, heroes!
This week, ring in the Lunar New Year with the latest installment of Six Heroes!
Last time we checked in with Falwynn, Faust, and Sophie, you were all reminiscing about the past, and how Faust and Sophie met.
But now... Falwynn awakens to her friends missing, and forest burning around her. What has happened?
Talk to Ash in Book 3 Falconreach to play this week's release: Six Heroes: Darkheart!
However, there is something that we would like to address:
Real World vs Videogame Worlds: Australia's Wildfires + How You Can Help
The story for this weekend's update -- which includes a forest fire as part of the plot -- was written well in advance. With the severe wildfires raging throughout Australia, the team debated changing our plans for tonight's release. We wouldn't want to come across as insensitive, or for you all to think we were capitalizing on the very real emergencies faced by the people and wildlife there.
We had three real options:
- Change the actual plot of the story
- Leave the plot as is, but revise the release date to a point in the future
- Call attention to what's happening, use this as a starting point for discussion, and let you know how you can help
The choice was clear. Our game stories don't always reflect the real world, but this time, it has, and we want to use that opportunity to educate players about what's happening in the real world and environment.
How the fires have impacted Australia
- Estimated 1 billion (with a b) animals may have been killed (due to the fires, dehydration, starvation, and habitat loss)
- Millions of acres have been burned
- Thousands of homes destroyed and people evacuated
- More than two dozen lives have been lost
If you'd like to help, we've checked out the following charities, and they are legit.
- St. Vincent de Paul society (helping evacuated families recover, providing food and clothing, etc) https://donate.vinnies.org.au/appeals-nsw/vinnies-nsw-bushfire-appeal-nsw
- Country Fire Authority (Managing locals providing shelter for evacuated families) https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/about/supporting-cfa
- World Animal Protection (supporting local wildlife organizations across Australia) https://www.worldanimalprotection.us/
- RSPCA New South Wales (evacuating animals to safety) https://www.rspcansw.org.au/bushfire-appeal/
This is a global emergency, and it will impact more than Australia. We don't usually get quite so serious in our game design notes posts, but this is one of those times where you can be a hero in our videogames AND in the real world.
Finally, we have some fixes and changes for Epoch and DragonFable
- Fixed issue where some DoT effects would do NaN type damage.
- Fixed Underworld Epoch issue where legs would display incorrectly.
- Fixed Underworld Epoch issue where Timeshift cooldown was working incorrectly.
- Fixed Underworld Epoch issue where Ultra Boost/Hex could be used on the first turn of timeshift.
- Fixed Underworld Epoch issue where when you could use timeshifted double turns was unclear.
- You only get double turns (timeshift) when your turn starts with 4 or more Momentum.
- You will not get a double turn if your Momentum drops below 4 on your first turn of a Timeshift.
More graphical issues will be fixed in the future. Eraglass specific Momentum bar, as well as other class adjustments will be coming soon too! We've heard your feedback about differentiating this version from Eternal Epoch, and that will be something that will be coming soon as well.
Have theories about the story? Have feedback about today's release, or the game? Having trouble with any fights? Want to discuss all things DragonFable?
Join the discussion on the official forums!
Want to play DragonFable without using an internet browser?
Check out the Artix Games Launcher!
Follow us on Twitter for sneak peeks and updates (and feel free to tweet us your fan art and feedback too!)